In their March bulletin Stax of Japan, famous around the world round for their range of electrostatic wonder cans, announced the SR-009 system which is to be their new top-of-the-line Electrostatic headphone. And what a looker it is!
Specifications from the bulletin are as follows:
A newly developed sound element adopts in the SR-009 is a new high polymer ultra-thin film material called super engineering plastics, which is reinforced and much thinner than conventional engineered plastics.
New electrodes named MLER (Multi Layer ElectRodes) have been developed, using ultra-precision photo etch and high-tech heat diffusion.
Abundant use of precision machined light-weight aluminum
Silver plated, High purity copper wire 99.9999% (audiophile grade)
Newly designed, hand-crafted lamb leather for hours of comfort.
Newly designed 10-click slider mechanism for optimal wear and comfort. Also used in SR-507
Stax SR-009 Specifications
- Type: Push-pull electrostatic circular sound element, open-air type enclosure
- Frequency Response: 5-42,000Hz
- Capacitance: 110pF (including cable)
- Impedance 145kohm (including cable at 10kHz)
- Sound pressure sensitivity 101dB / input 100Vr.m.s / 1kHz
- Max sound pressure level: 118dB / 400Hz
- Bias voltage: 580V DC
- Earpad: Genuine leather (Lamb)
- Cable: Silver-plated 6N (99.99999%) OFC low-capacity wide cable 2.5m
- Weight: 596g, (454g without cable)
STAX is also introducing silver-plated extension cables to replace the current extension cables.
- SRE-925S 2.5M
- SRE-950S 5.0M
- Silver-plated 6N (99.9999%) OFC parallel 6-strand, low-capacity special wide cable, 5-pin male/female
Though as always these are premium products with premium prices and for your decadent tendencies, these beauties will set you back over $5000 or $5250 to be precise for the headphone alone.
- SR-009 Retail $5250
- SRE-925S Retail $250
- SRE-950S Retail $450